- The longer urine has remained on the fabric the worse it smells. So don’t delay.
- Drink more water – it will reduce the potency of the urine.
- Use a washing detergent containing enzymes.
- Dry garments in sunlight to destroy germs and remove remaining odours.
- If you can’t get to it straight away, then rinse under cold water and come back to it when you can. Remember - heat sets stains – so save your hot water for when you are washing your garments with detergent in the machine.
Option 1 - vinegar
- Run urine-soaked clothing through a full-wash cycle using cold water and one cup of white vinegar (without detergent). Vinegar is an excellent urine stain remover as it breaks down the uric acid in urine and makes the stain easier to remove. When the cycle is complete, run the load again (this time adding detergent) and wash at the hottest water temperature recommended for the fabric.
Option 2 - baking soda
- Before washing your urine-stained clothing, try soaking it in a mixture of baking soda (1/2 cup) and warm water. Baking soda naturally neutralizes odours. If you can’t soak it, then sprinkle it liberally on the damp area or old urine stain and work the powder gently into the fabric fibres. Let the baking soda sit overnight, then wash garment as usual.
Option 3 – for stains left on the fabric for an extended period of time
- Soak the article overnight in the in a vinegar, baking soda and water solution, then wash as usual in the morning. Repeat soaking the item in vinegar and water until stain is removed. Use a vinegar/water solution with a 1:2 ratio.
- Try using a laundry sanitizer or clear disinfectant in the wash.
Option 5 – for when you are out and about and need something for what you are wearing
- Make up a small travel spray bottle. Just mix two tablespoons of baking soda with water. Then spritz the clothing with the solution. Once dry, brush off any residue.
- Depending on the fabric, try spraying the outside of the clothing that you are wearing with essential oils mixed with water.
For some of us, bladder leak absorbing underwear is an absolute lifesaver! The beauty of the reusable absorbent underwear from Vivo Bodywear is that they are made from special antibacterial sweat-wicking fabric to pull moisture away from the skin, keeping you fresh and dry down-below. While the anti-odour technology works together with the super-absorbent fibres to lock-in liquids and prevent embarrassing smells. Try them today. They are pretty amazing!